2005
64-bit x86; Solaris 10
Sun Studio
9
2004

Sun Studio
8
2004
Re-enter x86 market Sun ONE Studio Compiler Collection
8
2004
Only the compilers here Sun ONE Studio
7
2002
SPARC only; NetBeans based IDE
Forte Developer
6 update 2
2001
c99 support
Forte Developer
6 update 1
2000
Also: Sun Workshop
Forte Developer
6
2000
Also: Sun Workshop
Sun Workshop
5
1999
New C++ Standard
Sun Workshop
4
1996
Fortran Only
Sun Workshop
3
1996
Also: SPARCworks 4.2
SunSoft Workshop
2
1995
Also: SPARCworks 4.0; last Ada release
SunSoft Workshop
3.0.2
1995
Fortran 90 release
SPARCworks/ProWorks
3.0.1
1994
Also: SunSoft Workshop 1.0; SunOS 4.x; lastPascal release
SPARCworks/ProWorks
3.0
1993

SPARCworks/ProWorks
2.0.1
1992
SunOS 4.x, first on x86
SPARCWorks
2
1992
First release on Solaris
SPARCWorks
1
1991
Ansi C; Distro on CD
Sun Compilers
0.0
1990
First unbundled rel (from OS)

A couple of points here to add. This list is for entertainmentpurposes(historical? hysterical?)only. Many of our enterprise customers have been along for this rideduring much of Studio history and this list might bring a smile totheir faces and/or help them understand any gaps. For years, I used toput up a slide in my presos called Whats in a Rose? Our productnames over the years with these names to get over such questionsas: Is Forte a different product,etc. This list is a more complete enumeration of that effort. Thecreativity of our marketing machinery(!) should not get in the way ofour users understanding the maturity and long history of the productline.

Its pretty amazing that we got 23 separate, full releases (not patches, not updates-dont let the names fool you) in 20 years; that is an amazing cadence. Equally amazing is that the basic charter has not changed much over the years at all:
  • Support new hardware and squeeze the most performance out of the latest features (pipelines, cache, chip and instruction characteristics)
  • Support new OS features like /proc, Hardware counters, page size, processor affinity, DTrace, rtld, etc
  • Tune math libraries and algebraic solvers for the latest HW micro-architecture
  • Provide State of the Art optimizations
  • Provide the broadest range of tools: Command-line, standalone GUIs and IDE and integrate them (test together, work together) in one product line
  • Bring the latest GUI technologies
  • Provide enterprise grade support
Few people remember that:
  • Studio predates SPARC. Sun Compilers (and then SPARCcompilers) worked on x86, Motorola and then SPARC
  • Studio predates Solaris. Notice the two releases SC0.0 and SC1.0 before Solaris 2.0 was born (back in those days Solaris 1.0 referred to Berkeley/BSD based SunOS 4.x. Equivalently, SunOS 5.x referred to Solaris).
  • Even though Solaris was released in 1992, Studio had two more releases on SunOS 4.x, until it stabilized completely to be the platform of choice for most of our customers (around Solaris 2.3) Sun's last Pascal release was in 1994 (though there was a Y2K patch issued in 1999!) and the last Ada release was in 1995.
The official support and component matrix along with officialSun/Oracle support dates and policies is found here; please referto this to get your questions answered.
It was a fun exercise for me to look at the past. Hope you enjoyed it too.

Read More about [Sun Studio Product Release Names from the past 20 years...