This is a discussion on Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 released! - Solaris Rss ; Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 is the latest release of compilers andtools, available on Solaris 10 (SPARC and x86), OEL, RHEL and SuSE andhas several highlights worth noting: This is the first release ofStudio under the Oracle banner . That said, ...
Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 is the latest release of compilers andtools, available on Solaris 10 (SPARC and x86), OEL, RHEL and SuSE andhas several highlights worth noting:
So, heres what you can do today to get more familiar with it:
- This is the first release ofStudio under the Oracle banner. That said, it continues a longtradition of excellence in performance, features and productivitydiligently nurtured by previous releases under the Sun Studio, SunWorkshop, Forte Developer banners.
- For those of you who are new to the Sun product lines, Studiohas always played an important part in various parts of the OracleHardware, Software stack:
- Oracle database was always builtoptimized with Studio (for the past 15+ years as Sun's ISVpartner) and recommended Studio for ProC and plugins
- PeopleSoft, Siebel, Hyperion and JD Edwards was
built optimized with Studio from long before thesebecame part of the Oracle family.
- Java VM has always built with Studio from Day 1 and hasrecommended it for Native Code Development
- Solaris has, of course, been built from Day 1 with Suncompilers and these have played a critical part in developing the bestapplication ecosystem around Solaris (differentiating it from HP/UX,IBM-AIX and Linuxes, whose combined #apps dont match upto Solaris)
- Pretty much every single Sun system Hardware Benchmarkingannouncement that involved CPU crunching involved Studio compilers(exception: early x86/Opteron announcements on Linux when Studio wasnton Linux yet)
- Optimized for Sun Systems:
- Support for latest SPARC and x86 Hardware systems. Inparticular,optimizations for SPARC64-VII, UltraSPARC-T2 (Plus), Intel Xeon 7500processor series (Nehalem-EX) and the Intel Xeon 5600 processor series(Westmere-EP)
Mathlibraries and solvers tuned for each microarchitecture
- Enhanced MT, OpenMP and MPI support throughout the toolchain.
- Optimized for Solaris:
- Tools that take advantage of latest Solaris features such asDlight (a new tool) and features exposed for profiling (PerformanceAnalyzer)
- Solaris Binary Compatibility Guarantee with industry's onlystable C++ ABI
- Optimized for Developers:
- Innovative new tools: A new memory debugger (Discover) and anewcode coverage tool(Uncover).
- OK, not new but pretty much unknown so a plug here wont hurt:
dbxtoolis now back as a standalone tool (since Studio 12 update 1)
- Enhancements to existing tools, such as OCD (optimized codedebugging), and improvements in application profiling andobservability (Performance Analyzer).
- Several enhancements to the Studio IDE to improve developerproductivity, which I've detailed in a previous blog
- New and enhanced
supportoffering covered under two development bundles (here). Checkout the support pages here.
Checkout the ongoing Studio Forums here for free advice.
- Notice, the tools themselvescontinue to be licensed and are free to download.(check out the license here:)
Downloadthe latest bits here.
Getmore information from this "Overview" site.
- Check out thisguide: What?s Newin the Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 Release
- Check out the
datasheet,release notes, install etc from here.
- Check out the short video introduction from
DonKretsch (Senior Engineering Director of Sun Developer Tools) and KuldipOberoi (Senior Software Engineering Manager) as they talk about the newrelease.
- Read new Whitepapers
DevelopingEnterprise Applications with Oracle Solaris Studio Whitepaper
DevelopingParallel Programs ? A Discussion of Popular Models Whitepaper
OracleSolaris and Sun SPARC Systems?Integrated and Optimized for EnterpriseComputing
OptimizingApplicationswith Oracle Solaris Studio Compilers and Tools
- Note the
End-Of-Lifefeature list I had previously listed with the Express release.
It doesnt hurt to reiterate the overall architectural graphic, so hereit is again:
Read More about [Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 released! ...