There are two great sessions at JavaOne that I can recommend - well because I'm giving them. The first is related to FIRST...

Java in the 2010 FIRST Robotic Competition

Learn how Java was ported to run on the FIRST Robotics Competition platform, and hear about the experiences of hundreds of high school teams using Java for the first time in the 2010 competition season. The FIRST Robotics Competition is one of the largest high school robotics competitions, with more than 77,000 students and volunteers. This session covers:

  • What is the FIRST Robotics Competition
  • Experiences with Java in the 2010 competition season
  • APIs for programming the robots through the CompactRIO controller
    • WPIlib (image processing, servos, sensors, control loops, CAN interface)
    • Java Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME), information module profile
    • Squawk Java virtual machine
  • NetBeans integration
  • How Java was ported to National Instrument's CompactRIO controller
Speaker(s): Eric Arseneau, Asset Science, Brad Miller, WPI, Professor, Derek White, Oracle
Session ID: S314633
Schedule: Tuesday, September 21, 11:30AM | Hilton San Francisco, Golden Gate 4/5 The second session is related to FIRST in that it talks about the techniques that we used to interface both the Squawk JVM to VxWorks OS as well as the WPILib library to the FPGA code in robot controller. But these techniques can be used in Java SE and Java ME applications (in some cases) instead of using the traditional JNI in C code approach.

Java Native Access: More Java, Less Native

Developing embedded applications for Java often involves interacting with existing libraries, from common standards such as POSIX to custom FPGA libraries. Java Native Access (JNA) is an open source library that enables developers to access native code in shared libraries without needing to write more native code in Java Native Interface. Targeted at Java developers who need to call existing native code, this session will show how to use JNA and its recent improvements. Key points to be addressed include:

  • Java and native code: importing vs. outsourcing
  • How to declare imports of native code in JNA and how to use them
  • Cook book examples
  • New features (more platforms, Java ME and CLDC support)
Speaker: Derek White, Oracle Session ID: S314579 Schedule: Wednesday, September 22, 4:45PM | Hilton San Francisco, Yosemite C
By the way, I just learned that college students (18 and older) can attend JavaOne for free! Check out this page for details.

Read More about [Cool Tech Sessions at JavaOne 2010...