Yesterday was the final day of the 3-day NetBeans Platform Certified Training in Johannesburg. During the final day, two outsiders joined the course to present their work on the NetBeans Platform. But outsiders they are not really, of course. In fact, they're insiders! Chris Bohme from PinkMatter talked about Maltego, a very cool forensics application on the NetBeans Platform (used by "three-letter companies", among others), after which Hermien Pellissier from Saab Systems Grintek talked about KITT, the Saab platform used to deliver applications to the South African National Defense Force.
In the evening, Hermien and Chris turned up again, this time at a JUG event in a bar (is there a better place for a JUG event?), organized primarily by Mark Clarke (the extremely versatile organizer of the courses I am delivering in South Africa) from Jumping Bean. Here are some nice pics to evoke the feeling of the evening. (All you need to do is pretend there's semi-loud pumping disco type music in the background and you'll be very close to where we were in reality.)
Chris in action:

Hermien (author of On the NetBeans Platform Build System) in action:

Earlier in the day, during his presentation during the course, Chris announced the release of PinkMatter's Ribbon bar library for the NetBeans Platform. (Based on the work by Kirill and Gunnar and others, but this time independent of look and feel.)

And today the first day of the two day advanced training started. Of the original 16 in the basic course, 5 students remained in the advanced course, during which we're porting Robert Kelsey's AMSWin to the NetBeans Platform!
The same training is being held in Stellenbosch next week... and Chris will be there too to talk about Maltego, artificial intelligence, three-letter companies, and the NetBeans Platform. You can still join in!

Read More about [News from the NetBeans Platform in South Africa...