My last post about Solaris 11 triggered an interesting discussion with UX-admin about IPS and the lack of pre-/post-scripts for installation/removal.

Assuming that Solaris 11 will be based on IPS just like OpenSolaris, it is certain that sysadmins will have to change a lot in how they create and manage packages, because IPS is fundamentally different from the good old System V packaging system.

So let's explore the lack of scripting hooks in IPS and see if we can find some ways of working around them:

The Problem

One of the fundamental differences between IPS and traditional System V packaging in versions of Solaris