Just noticed this article go flitting by in a tweet from a Grid Engine community member. Since the article lacks any useful details what-so-ever about who was cut and where, I thought I should pop my head up to declare that all is well in Grid Engine land.

First, I have to apologize for my long lack of blog updates. Now that I've taken over the Grid Engine product management role, I've been up to my elbows non-stop. Maybe this post will get me back into the habit of blogging regularly. I still have one more post to write about what's new in 6.2u5.

Second, the Grid Engine team is still here, as is the Oracle Grid Engine product. In fact, in my almost a decade working on this product, we've never been in a better position. One thing Oracle does very well is to be clear about their intentions. Either your product has a road map, or it doesn't. We have a road map. We have a rather exciting road map, in fact, and I'm looking forward to using our new home in Oracle as a launching pad for the next generation of the Grid Engine technology.

Lastly, just to add a little credence to the above statement, let me share a little about where we have landed in Oracle. The Oracle Grid Engine team now sits in the Oracle Enterprise Manager organization, directly under the Ops Center team. Enterprise Manager is Oracle's product for managing the data center from top to bottom, the entire software stack, down through the OS, all the way to the hardware and storage. Software. Hardware. Complete. Interestingly, the Enterprise Manager group would seem to be one of the key components in Oracle cloud strategy. Hmmm... Cloud... Grid Engine... One could imagine there being some kind of fit there. Odd that we should land in the same group...

The technology that Grid Engine brings to the Oracle product family is unique. Not only do we not compete with any other existing Oracle product, there are several other Oracle products with which Grid Engine has a very natural synergy. I have very high hopes for the role Grid Engine will play at Oracle going forward. Without getting into any details, look for good things coming from our direction in the future.

Oracle policy prevents me from saying anything concrete or specific about our plans or positioning or anything else, really, but I hope I've been able to give you 1) confidence that we're alive and doing quite well, thank you, and 2) we have a long and exciting road ahead of us.

Read More about [Not Dead Yet!...