On August 19th from 9 AM until 3 PM, Oracle will be hosting an Online Virtualization Forum that covers our v12n technology from the Desktop to the Datacenter. What I'm really impressed by is the two people that will comprise the "panel". Former Sun hardware guru and now Oracle's Executive Vice President of Systems John Fowler and my boss's boss's boss, Oracle's Chief Corporate Architect Edward Screven.

Folks, these are what we call "Big Guns". What's more, they are extremely intelligent...no scratch that. They are "scary smart". Be honest, you've sat through more than your share of executives pitching things they could care less about. These two gentlemen are in a different league. Passionate is the best word that describes them.

I'm sure long time followers of Think Thin are more than familiar with the Executive branch of "the company formerly known as Sun Microsystems" and you've seen John Fowler many times. But unless you were an Oracle customer, you may not have had the chance to hear Edward Screven speak. With absolutely zero patronizing involved here (like he reads this blog), watch him. He's brilliant. He gets it. And by "it" I mean pretty much anything you could imagine, but specifically he gets VDI.

If there's one thing I've learned about the executives at Oracle, it's that they don't mess around. You wouldn't get this caliber of people talking about the entire virtualization stack if Oracle was not committed to it. I've also noticed, "Committed" = "Wants to dominate" in Oracle speak.

So to the v12n world out there, and specifically the VDI market, watch out. The "Big Guns" are about to fire a warning shot across the bow of the marketplace. To paraphrase Al Pacino's character in "Scent of a Woman", We are just getting warmed up.

Read More about [Oracle Virtualization Event line up...Holy Cow!...