I had opportunity today to point my Sun Ray DTU at the box that I have been building up. Actually using it is really the only way to see what I had forgotten.

I wanted to go to the newer gnome looking desktop so ran

$ gnome-cleanup ...

Which also meant I had to reset some of my preferences, but that was not really a problem. Little things like the number of workspaces (12 from 4), making my terminal sessions white on black, changing to a simpler theme and as I am doing Sun Ray from home, going to a solid colour background. Oh, I had to make gnome-terminal do each session as a login session to get my path fully right too.

Open Office

$ pfexec pkg install office/openoffice DOWNLOAD PKGS FILES XFER (MB) Completed 10/10 4238/4238 173.6/173.6 PHASE ACTIONS Install Phase 4848/4848 PHASE ITEMS Reading Existing Index 8/8 Indexing Packages 10/10

I actually noticed the absence of this not from having to use office, but because I configured pidgin to use some of its wav files for notify sounds and it was unusually quiet.

flash

I need the extras repository, OK, I can grab the certificates off my notebook rather than go to the site again.

$ pfexec mkdir /var/pkg/ssl $ cd /var/pkg/ssl $ pfexec scp alan@blues:///var/pkg/ssl/\*.pem . Password: OpenSolaris_extras.c 100% |*****************************| 775 00:00 OpenSolaris_extras.k 100% |*****************************| 888 00:00 $ pfexec pkg set-publisher -k OpenSolaris_extras.key.pem -c \ OpenSolaris_extras.certificate.pem -O https://pkg.sun.com/opensolaris/extra/ \ extra

I also needed to import the certificate into firefox as I’d forgotten the actual name of the flash package.

$ openssl pkcs12 -in /var/pkg/ssl/OpenSolaris_extras.certificate.pem \ -inkey /var/pkg/ssl/OpenSolaris_extras.key.pem -export > \ /tmp/OpenSolaris_extras.certificate.pkcs12 Enter Export Password: Verifying - Enter Export Password:

Full instructions for importing certificates to firefox can be found here.

OK, now we can add flash.

$ pfexec pkg install web/firefox/plugin/flash DOWNLOAD PKGS FILES XFER (MB) Completed 5/5 3/3 4.5/4.5 PHASE ACTIONS Install Phase 58/58 PHASE ITEMS Reading Existing Index 8/8 Indexing Packages 5/5

acroread

Downloaded the package from adobe.com then:

$ cd /tmp $ gzcat AdobeReader_enu-8.1.7-1.sparc.tar.gz|tar vxf - AdobeReader/ AdobeReader/INSTALL AdobeReader/ReadMe.htm AdobeReader/COMMON.TAR AdobeReader/SSOLR.TAR $ cd AdobeReader $ pfexec ./INSTALL This installation requires 155 MB of free disk space. Enter installation directory for Adobe Reader 8.1.7 [/opt] <enter> /opt Installing platform independent files ... Done Installing platform dependent files ... Done Please login again for changes to MIME types and icons to take effect.

That leaves me to only configure cups and resync my zpool with the old workstation. It’s feeling a little zippier even though it has one gig less memory, so it’s looking good.

Read More about [Nevada to OpenSolaris Sun Ray on SPARC (part 6 ? cutting over)...