I have a habit of formatting the hard disk on my laptop every time a new version of Linux operating system or some variant of it is released.Every time I do that and start my work, I face this issue while installing Glassfish V2.

When I try to install Glassfish v2 (and many other applications) it reports with the following error message :

sreekanth@Auriferous:/space/Sreekanth/servers$ ./sges-2_1_1-linux.bin
./sges-2_1_1-linux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I use our best friend Google to find out a solution.Then forget what I did next time.So I wanted to make a note of it some where this time so that I can refer back and may be it is useful for some other guys out there.So here goes the solution which works for me:

Download the needed libraries from here:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i38...dc++5/download

and then install using sudo dpkg -i libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb

Thats all and If you know or come across a better solution , please post it here.Thanks for reading.

Read More about [error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5...