The core component of the Oracle VDI solution is the Oracle VDI broker/session manager which you deploy in your session management layer of your Virtual Desktop infrastructure. It is an integrated stack of software components with a single installer which you install on a Solaris server: one server if you want to demo or evaluate the software or in a cluster of servers for production use.

After initial installation and configuration the server behaves like an appliance, you administer the Oracle VDI platform through the web-interface. Also the Sun Ray server component is managed through the web-interface.

Although you do not need to be a Solaris expert (most VDI platforms are managed by administrators from the Windows domain) to manage a Oracle VDI broker/session manager server, some Solaris command line knowledge is a value add in managing the Oracle VDI platform.

I hope to write some articles in the future about common Solaris SysAdmin jobs that could be used in the daily life of Oracle VDI Administrator. In this post I like to show some commands that you use when you add additional software packages to your Solaris Server. I do not present the output of the CLI-commands, you are encouraged to execute the below instructions on your Solaris Oracle VDI server to understand the output.

Pkgadd:

Usually when I have installed a Solaris server, I add additional packages from the public domain that I have downloaded from Sunfreeware.com, the Freeware for Solaris package repository. An example of such a package is rdesktop, the X-windows client for Windows terminal servers. You may think why should I install this package (Oracle VDI has its own uttsc RDP-connector), but I explain that later.

# Decompress the downloaded packageroot@vdiserver:# gunzip rdesktop-1.5.0-sol10-x86-local.gz# Install and transfer the software package to the systemroot@vdiserver:# pkgadd -d rdesktop-1.5.0-sol10-x86-local# Check software package installation accuracy (before you add to the system)root@vdiserver:# pkgchk -d rdesktop-1.5.0-sol10-x86-local# Check if software package is already installedroot@vdiserver:# grep rdesktop /var/sadm/install/contents# Or check if software package is already installed with pkginforoot@vdiserver:# pkginfo | grep rdesktop If you do install this rdesktop package on your server, do not forget to install the dependency packages as described on the Sunfreeware.com website.

Sample rdesktop use-cases:

As you may know, the uttsc RDP-connector in the Oracle VDI server (or the stand-alone Sun Ray server software) only displays on a Sun Ray client. It does not work when it is executed from the console of the server or via a remote SSH session. For this purpose I use the rdesktop RDP-connector.

Consider you are working on a Apple or Linux notebook (or your Windows desktop with a local X-display) and you want to test the RDP connection from a remote Oracle VDI server to a Windows system (might be Windows XP virtual machine or Windows 2003 Terminal server) then these are the commands that you can use:

# Connect with RDP from VDI server to a Windows Terminal serverjaap@notebook:# ssh -X root@vdiserver /usr/local/bin/rdesktop ip-address-wts# Assume you know Virtual Desktop VM IP-address via Oracle VDI # web-interface, connect with RDP from VDI server to a VMjaap@notebook:# ssh -X root@vdiserver /usr/local/bin/rdesktop ip-address-vm# This is cool: use the VDI server's RDP broker to test a Virtual Desktop VM # of an assigned user# Warning: passwd may be visible on vdiserver when tools like "ps" are used.jaap@notebook:# ssh -X root@vdiserver /usr/local/bin/rdesktop \ -u username -p passwd ip-address-vdiserver# Same use-case, but you hide the passwd and have to enter the windows passwd# after you have entered the SSH passwdjaap@notebook:# ssh -X root@vdiserver /usr/local/bin/rdesktop \ -u username -p - ip-address-vdiserver That's it for now, please let me know if you have specific wishes for this series of articles. Or let me know what CLI-commands you are struggling with as a Oracle VDI administrator.

Read More about [Solaris for Oracle VDI Administrators (1)...