Diretly after reading Neil J. Gunthers book ""Guerrilla Capacity Planning" i ordered another book of this author: Analyzing Computer System Performance with Perl::PDQ (looks like the availability of this book is better at Amazon US)

I really like this book for several reasons. At first he gives a good introduction into the mathematics behind throughput, utilization and all the words the IT is using at a regular schedule. Furthermore he explains the meaning and the problem of the most misunderstood and most overvalued concept in Unix - the "load average".

But the most interesting part is the the Perl module that gave this book it's name Perl::PDQ. Perl::PDQ was designed to simulate queuing in even complex systems in a really pretty damned quick way ... all the chapters before are pretty much are meant to help you to set the results into perspective.

Especially the chapters 7 ("Multicomputer Analysis with PDQ") and 9 ("Client/Server Analysis with PDQ") are really interesting as they demonstrate to dissect practical problems into the methods of queuing theory, how everything in performance analysis is connected to queuing theory and how to use PDQ to get really interesting insights and information about the impact of an assumed load on this queues.

I highly recommend this book for the insight it gave me and for the methods it teached me.

(Analyzing Computer System Performance with Perl::PDQ by Neil J. Gunther, ISBN 3540208658)

Read More about [Recommended Reading: Analyzing Computer System Performance with Perl::PDQ...