Given that cross-platform compatibility is a core development goal of this project, I think the name "Sun Security Toolkit" no longer makes sense.

I propose a name change from "Sun Security Toolkit" to "SST Security Toolkit."

Rationale:

  • The community is familiar with the SST acronym. It makes sense to leverage that familiarity.
  • There is a tradition of recursive acronyms in open source, i.e. GNU and RPM.
  • Removing the Sun brand name from the tool may encourage adoption by administrators who are unacquainted with Sun technologies.
I'd really like to hear from the community here. The security-discuss list had little to say about the proposal with one for, one against, and one neutral.

Anybody else? Otherwise, qui tacet consentit.

Read More about [Proposed name change...