[FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Last year I became a Father to my first child, my son Jack. I thought I would share a letter which a friend shared with me yesterday which was written by Abraham Lincoln to his son's teacher. So this is for all the other Dad's out there on this Father's Day Weekend. Thanks Amitava for sharing the letter with me and to Jack, I love you.[/FONT]

[FONT='times new roman', times, serif][/FONT]"Respected teacher,

[FONT='times new roman', times, serif]My son will have to learn [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]I know, that all men are not[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Just ,all men are not true. But [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him also that for every [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]scoundrel there is a hero; that [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]for every selfish politician , [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]there is a dedicated leader. [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him that for every enemy [/FONT]there is a friend.

[FONT='times new roman', times, serif]It will take time, I know; but[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]teach him, if you can, that a [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]dollar earned is of far more [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]value than five found. [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him to learn to lose and[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]also enjoy the winning. [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Steer him away from envy, if you [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]can .[/FONT]

[FONT='times new roman', times, serif][/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him the secret of quiet [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]laughter. Let him learn early [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]that bullies are easiest [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]to lick.[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him if you can the [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]wonder of books?but also give [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]him quiet time to ponder over [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]the eternal mystery of birds in [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]the sky, bees in the sun, and[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]flowers on the green hill-side.[/FONT]

[FONT='times new roman', times, serif][/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]In school teach him it is far [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]more honorable to fail than to cheat. [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him to have faith in his [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]own ideas, even if everyone [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]tells him they are wrong. [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him to be gentle with[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]gentle people and tough with[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]the tough.[/FONT]

Try to give my son the strength [FONT='times new roman', times, serif]not to follow the crowd when [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]everyone is getting on the band [/FONT]wagon. Teach him to listen to all men but teach him also to filter all he hears on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes through. Teach him if you can how to laugh when he is sad. Teach him there is no shame in tears.

[FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him to scoff at cynics and[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]be aware of too much [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]sweetness.[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him to sell of his brawn and[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]brain to the highest bidders; [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]but never put a price tag on[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]his heart and soul.[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Teach him to close his ears to a [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]howling mob?and to stand [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]and fight if he thinks[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]he?s right. [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Treat him gently; but do not [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]cuddle him because only the[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]test of fire makes fine steel . [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Let him have the courage to be[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]impatient, let him have the [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]patience to be brave. Teach him [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]always to have sublime faith in[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif] [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]himself because then he will [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]always have sublime faith in[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]mankind.[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]This is a big order; [/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]but see what you can do?he is such a fine[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]little fellow, my son[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]
[/FONT][FONT='times new roman', times, serif]Abraham Lincoln[/FONT]

Read More about [For my Son...