In the past, when I've seen test methods written by others that use throws Exception in the message signature, I've been irritated. Using throws Exception looks like a lazy attempt to circumvent the requirement to explicitly declare all thrown exceptions. But I think I've changed my mind on this, at least when writing test cases.

The main reason is one of maintainability. If you use some method throughout your test suite, and it is one day updated to throw a new exception, you now have to update the method signature of every single test case that calls that method. And, as far as I can figure, you gain exactly nothing for your efforts.

But, you might object, the requirement to explicitly declare all exceptions is a necessary evil, because it allows any calling code to be written defensively. You can't prepare for exceptional conditions that you don't know about. And that's true, and in most cases, you should continue to explicitly declare all exceptions. But I'd wager that with most test cases, you don't care about exceptions that might occur, except insofar as they cause the test to pass or fail, and you probably don't intend for any other code to call your test case method.

It will be interesting to see what other apparent stupidities eventually reveal their wisdom to me.

Read More about [Unit tests and checked exceptions...