A few days i wrote about the recent PeopleSoft Payroll Benchmark for the XL model. Giri Mandalika wrote a good article with additional information about this benchmark:
There is a lot of noise from some of the outside blog readers (I do not know who those readers are or who they work for) when Sun published the very first NA Payroll 240K EE benchmark with eight job streams using an F5100 array that has 40 flash modules (FMOD). Few people thought it is necessary to have those many flash modules to get that kind of performance that Sun demonstrated in the benchmark. Now that we have the 500K benchmark result as well, I want to highlight another fact that it is the same F5100 that was used in all the three NA Payroll benchmarks that Sun published in the last 10 months. Even though other vendors increased the number of disk drives when moved from 240K to 500K EE benchmark environment, Sun hasn't increased the flash modules in F5100 -- the number of FMODs remained at 40 even in 500K EE benchmark. This fact implicitly suggests at least two things -- 1. F5100 array is resilient, scales and performs consistently even with increased load. 2. May be 40 flash modules are not needed in 240K EE Payroll benchmark. Hopefully this will silence those naysayers and critics now.
Read More about [Additional information about the recent PeopleSoft benchmark....