This is a discussion on PeopleSoft Payroll 500K Employees on Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 World Record - Solaris Rss ; Oracle's Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 server combined with Oracle's Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array system has produced World Record Performance on PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 (North American) 500K employees benchmark. The Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 server and the Sun Storage F5100 ...
Oracle's Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 server combined with Oracle's Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array system has produced World Record Performance on PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 (North American) 500K employees benchmark.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 server and the Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array system processed payroll for 500K employees using 32 payroll threads 18% faster than the IBM z10 EC 2097-709 mainframe as measured for payroll processing tasks in the Peoplesoft Payroll 9.0 (North American) benchmark. This IBM mainframe is rated at 6,512 MIPS.
- The IBM z10 mainframe with nine 4.4 GHz Gen1 processors has a list price over $6M.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 server together with the Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array system processed payroll for 500K employees using 32 payroll threads 92% faster than an HP rx7640 as measured for payroll processing tasks in the Peoplesoft Payroll 9.0 (North American) benchmark.
- The Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array system is a high performance, high density solid state flash array which provides a read latency of only 0.5 msec which is about 10 times faster than the normal disk latencies 5 msec measured on this benchmark.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 server used the Oracle Solaris 10 operating system and ran with the Oracle 11gR1 database for this benchmark.
System Processor OS/Database Time in Minutes Num of
Result Run 1 Run 2 Run 3 Sun M5000 8x 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII Solaris/Oracle 11g 50.11 73.88 534.20 1267.06 32 IBM z10 9x 4.4GHz Gen1, 6,512 MIPS Z/OS /DB2 58.96 80.5 250.68 462.6 8 HP rx7640 8x 1.6GHz Itanium2 HP-UX/Oracle 11g 96.17 133.63 712.72 1665.01 32 Times under all Run columns above represent Payroll processing and Post-processing elapsed times and furthermore:
Times under Result column represents Payroll processing only.
- Run 1 = 32 parallel job streams & Single Check option = "No"
- Run 2 = 32 sequential jobs for Pay Calculation process & 32 parallel job streams for the rest. Single Check option = "Yes"
- Run 3 = One job stream & Single Check option = "Yes"
Results and Configuration Summary
- 1 x Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 (8 x 2.53 GHz/64 GB)
1 x Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array (40 x 24 GB FMODs)
1 x StorageTek 2510 (4 x 136 GB SAS 15K RPM)
4 x Dual-Port SAS Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters (HBA)
- Oracle Solaris 10 10/09
Oracle PeopleSoft HCM and Campus Solutions 9.00.00.311 64-bit
Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise (PeopleTools) 8.49.25 64-bit
Oracle 11g R1 220.127.116.11 64-bit
Micro Focus COBOL Server Express 4.0 SP4 64-bit
The PeopleSoft 9.0 Payroll (North America) benchmark is a performance benchmark established by PeopleSoft to demonstrate system performance for a range of processing volumes in a specific configuration. This information may be used to determine the software, hardware, and network configurations necessary to support processing volumes. This workload represents large batch runs typical of OLTP workloads during a mass update.
To measure five application business process run times for a database representing large organization. The five processes are:
For the benchmark, we collect at least three data points with different number of job streams (parallel jobs). This batch benchmark allows a maximum of thirty-two job streams to be configured to run in parallel.
- Paysheet Creation: generates payroll data worksheet for employees, consisting of std payroll information for each employee for given pay cycle.
- Payroll Calculation: Looks at Paysheets and calculates checks for those employees.
- Payroll Confirmation: Takes information generated by Payroll Calculation and updates the employees' balances with the calculated amounts.
- Print Advice forms: The process takes the information generated by payroll Calculations and Confirmation and produces an Advice for each employee to report Earnings, Taxes, Deduction, etc.
- Create Direct Deposit File: The process takes information generated by above processes and produces an electronic transmittal file use to transfer payroll funds directly into an employee bank a/c.
Key Points and Best Practices
Please see the white paper for information on PeopleSoft payroll best practices using flash.
Oracle PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark, Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 (8 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII) 50.11 min, IBM z10 (9 gen1) 58.96 min, HP rx7640 (8 1.6GHz Itanium2) 96.17 min, http://www.oracle.com/apps_benchmark...eoplesoft.html, results 6/3/2010.
Read More about [PeopleSoft Payroll 500K Employees on Sun SPARC Enterprise M5000 World Record...