Just as i get a steady stream of questions about Rock, i just want to quote one paragraph from the Ellison interview:
At the start, Ellison shut down one of Schwartz's pet projects -- development of the "Rock" microprocessor for Sun's high-end SPARC server line, a semiconductor that had struggled in development for five years as engineers sought to overcome a string of technical problems. "This processor had two incredible virtues: It was incredibly slow and it consumed vast amounts of energy. It was so hot that they had to put about 12 inches of cooling fans on top of it to cool the processor," said Ellison. "It was just madness to continue that project."
Perhaps I will tell the complete story from my perspective once i'm old, perhaps when i'm starting to write a book about the mental asylum called IT business.

Read More about [About Rock ...