VNC is really useful when you need a X-Display on a server. I use it often for things like the Oracle Installer or other GUI-Tools. If they run in a VNC-session, things like network latency or network interruptions don't matter any more. Especially some Java-GUIs don't like running on remote displays over long latency lines.

What's always been bugging me about VNC though, was setting it up. Just lately, I ran across a little tool - vncadm - that makes this so much easier.

This little script adds an aribtrary number of VNC-displays to the configuration of your Xserver - under the control of dtlogin. With that, the configuration will survive reboots, the displays will always be online, and you have a full Xsession with login, windowmanager and all. Usage is very simple, here's a small example:

root@maramba,tmp>./vncadm -r 1024x786 add 1-4
root@maramba,tmp>./vncadm list
Display Title Resolution Port
:1 maramba_(:1) 1024x786 5901
:2 maramba_(:2) 1024x786 5902
:3 maramba_(:3) 1024x786 5903
:4 maramba_(:4) 1024x786 5904
root@maramba,tmp>./vncadm del 3-4
root@maramba,tmp>./vncadm list
Display Title Resolution Port
:1 maramba_(:1) 1024x786 5901
:2 maramba_(:2) 1024x786 5902

All you need is the installed VNC package. It is included as SUNWxvnc in the more recent releases of Solaris 10. For older releases, you can download it from RealVNC. You don't need to fiddle with the configuration of VNC. Since the sessions are under dtlogin's control, this is not required. vncadm will even check for vnc's password file, and create one for you if needed. Be patient though, dtlogin takes it's time in starting the servers. Of course, this only works with Solaris 10, not with OpenSolaris, since CDE, and dtlogin, are not part of OpenSolaris. However, there might be a later version supporting GDM.

vncadm was written by my collegue Ralph Bogendoerfer. You can download it here.

Read More about [VNC made simple...