The idea:

I just acquired an Apple iTouch, and discovered an interesting application called iStat, which allows to show basic iTouch/iPhone infos, remote display iStat Menu info of a Mac, and, this is the more interesting part, do the same remote display from other OS by running an OpenSourced daemon on your favorite OS.

For Linux, BSD and Solaris, only the source code is provided. So you have to compile it by yourself with Gcc. The Gcc environment is available from the /release of /dev IPS server. I recommend to compile on the latest build (like b134). This can be done in three steps. Thanks to Mo McRoberts who helped in porting the SW to BSD/Solaris, and helped me to compile:

1) Get the compiler environment, in one single command:

pfexec pkg install SUNWgcc SUNWaconf SUNgnu-automake-110 SUNWlibtool

2) Set some required variables for the previous packages

ACLOCAL110=aclocal-1.10export ACLOCAL110AUTOMAKE110=automake-1.10export AUTOMAKE110AUTOCONF26=autoconfexport AUTOCONF26AUTOHEADER26=autoheaderexport AUTOHEADER26LIBTOOLIZE15=libtoolizeexport LIBTOOLIZE15 3) Configure and compile with the two commands:

How it works

After the make, you should find a binary istatd, and a configuration file istat.conf. Edit the last file to set the correct NIC interface name, and eventually change the server code which is a simple 5 digit number that has to be entered on on iPhone/iTouch as a basic check-in.

Move your file in /usr/local/etc and launch your istatd. You'll then be able to connect from you iTouch/iPhone if wifi is giving you connectivity to your OSOL box, by specifying its IP address.

Which infos

Well, basic but enoug for me, like:

  • system updatime
  • system load
  • CPU usage
  • memory usage status
  • network traffic (for inly one interface, due to client limitation on the iPhone/iTouch)
  • disk usage (on Solaris 10)

It's not for production yet, it's not secured, but it gives you basic info of your OSOL box without having to connect to a desktop/laptop. It even runs on Solaris 10/x86 systems (still not for production).

So, here is what we have (here average CPU infos on two cores):

And the same info on OpenSolaris with the Gnome "System Monitor" tool:

Read More about [Monitoring OpenSolaris from an iTouch...