The idea:

I just acquired an Apple iTouch, and discovered an interesting application called iStat, which allows to show basic iTouch/iPhone infos, remote display iStat Menu info of a Mac, and, this is the more interesting part, do the same remote display from other OS by running an OpenSourced daemon on your favorite OS.

(Open)Solaris:

For Linux, BSD and Solaris, only the source code is provided. So you have to compile it by yourself with Gcc. The Gcc environment is available from the /release of /dev IPS server. I recommend to compile on the latest build (like b134). This can be done in three steps. Thanks to Mo McRoberts who helped in porting the SW to BSD/Solaris, and helped me to compile:

1) Get the compiler environment, in one single command:

pfexec pkg install SUNWgcc SUNWaconf SUNgnu-automake-110 SUNWlibtool

2) Set some required variables for the previous packages

ACLOCAL110=aclocal-1.10export ACLOCAL110AUTOMAKE110=automake-1.10export AUTOMAKE110AUTOCONF26=autoconfexport AUTOCONF26AUTOHEADER26=autoheaderexport AUTOHEADER26LIBTOOLIZE15=libtoolizeexport LIBTOOLIZE15 3) Configure and compile with the two commands:

./configure

and

./make

How it works

After the make, you should find a binary istatd, and a configuration file istat.conf. Edit the last file to set the correct NIC interface name, and eventually change the server code which is a simple 5 digit number that has to be entered on on iPhone/iTouch as a basic check-in.

Move your file in /usr/local/etc and launch your istatd. You'll then be able to connect from you iTouch/iPhone if wifi is giving you connectivity to your OSOL box, by specifying its IP address.

Which infos

Well, basic but enoug for me, like:

  • system updatime
  • system load
  • CPU usage
  • memory usage status
  • network traffic (for inly one interface, due to client limitation on the iPhone/iTouch)
  • disk usage (on Solaris 10)

It's not for production yet, it's not secured, but it gives you basic info of your OSOL box without having to connect to a desktop/laptop. It even runs on Solaris 10/x86 systems (still not for production).

So, here is what we have (here average CPU infos on two cores):

And the same info on OpenSolaris with the Gnome "System Monitor" tool:

Read More about [Monitoring OpenSolaris from an iTouch...