Next, on our virtual world tour of NetBeans Platform applications, we travel to the Middle East. Here we find a software package that is used for managing a municipality's water, waste water piping, and water subscriptions. In short, a water management system.
Here's a screenshot, with some nice Arabic script, proving the NetBeans Platform's support for Arabic (as well as Persian and Hebrew). Click the image for a closer look:

My basic Arabic comprehension tells me that the title bar includes the word "mudeerait", meaning "managers", which is unsurprising in this context. Also, below the graph image, one of the words is "faktuur", which is the same in Dutch, meaning "receipt"!
The application is based on the NetBeans Platform, Derby, JasperReport, Java CSV, and other open source projects.
Some more info about what this application does:
There are several companies that install the pipelines and water distribution subscriptions to people's houses. For example, when a new block of houses is going to be built, the company takes the water distribution pipes to each house of that new block. The software manages the entire process, from when plans are being prepared down to following consumer complaints about broken pipes and so on. The software does the same task for installing sewer pipes to newly created houses, city sectors, and so on.
The software is developed for the company that manages multiple contractor companies that do the actual job of installing the pipes. Before this software, they had many Excel spreadsheets and some old software that didn't do a good job of managing the contractors and pipes. With this new system, all of those separate Excel spreadsheets and software systems are superfluous and this single software package manages all of the requirements in one go.
Since it is developed on top of the NetBeans Platform, the company can add new functionalities in the form of plugins and very easily distribute them to all the branches of the customer companies, simply by sending an updated NBM file or by updating the system through the central server, which also hosts their Derby database server.
Cool. Isn't it interesting to see the NetBeans Platform applied in this context?

Read More about [Middle Eastern Water Management on the NetBeans Platform...