Now that Oracle has completed the acquisition of Sun Microsystems, what will happen to Sun's Open Storage line of products? Sun really put a mark on the storage industry over the past year with products like the 7000 Unified Storage system that combines flash technology with high capacity disks to offer high performance, lower cost storage options to customers.

One of the unique features of this system is how the flash devices are managed automatically instead of requiring an inordinate amount of user intervention. Over the past few months companies like EMC and Netapp have been scrambling to respond with their own products that incorporate flash as best as they can.

Initially I think there was some concern over what Oracle would do with this line of products. However since the deal was closed late last month our leadership here at Oracle has made it clear that they will be investing and promoting Open Storage technology heavily. If you want to hear more about what the direction of the company will be on these products you should watch John Fowler at the Welcome Event or Mike Shapiro talk about the storage product strategy. Oracle will also be hosting live welcome events in major cities around the world and you can find the one closest to you here.

What is clear about Oracle's vision for Open Storage and in fact all of Sun hardware going forward is that it will focus on three areas: Complete, Open and Integrated. Notice that "Open" was not left out. Oracles products are based on open standards and that will not change for Open Storage. "Complete" really speaks to Oracle's commitment to making reliable, fast and feature rich products. Also, one of the biggest development areas for Open Storage will be in "Integration". This has already started taking place with the biggest example being the Exadata V2 database machine.

The Exadata V2 uses Open Storage FlashFire cards to deliver extreme performance for OLTP and Data Warehouse applications. This system is built on open standards like X86 architecture and Infiniband connectivity, but is integrated in such a way that it provides superior results while scaling to meet the needs of a variety of environments.

I think we will see more examples of this type of integrations in the future as well as increased development efforts around Open Storage as Oracle obviously understands the promise of this technology when it comes to helping customers address their storage issues. I am looking forward to talking about those developments in the weeks and months to come.

More...