As economic conditions recover in 2010 many organizations will be
looking to evolve their IT operations with new datacenter technologies
while enhancing business processes. Server and storage consolidation
through virtualization technology has been an essential element to this
evolution by helping administrators contain operational expenditures
(OPEX) and capital expenditures (CAPEX). However, as IT consolidation
increases overall utilization and I/O density of our virtualized data
centers, the network is emerging as the new bottleneck and an area
primed for innovation. In short, we simply need a larger ?pipe? for
communications to extend the benefits of IT consolidation through
virtualization to the network.

source SNIA

More...