NLOSUG did it again! On February 11th 2010, we organized our 10th meeting. Again we were invited to come to CompetaIT in Rijswijk (near The Hague). The same CompetaIT invited us in February last year, and we share great memories ever since. So we gladly accepted and wound up in their new training facilities for what would become yet another wonderful evening.

Before shortly describing what went on I need to mention that this evening was special in a few ways:

  • It was the first NLOSUG after Sun Microsystems became a wholly owned subsidiary of Oracle .
  • I always promoted that NLOSUG should be able to exist and operate independent of Sun... well... we succeeded in that but not in quite the way I expected
  • It was our 10th meeting in three-and-a-half years and I think we did quite well so far!
  • Last but not least, this was the day Joep got his motorcycle-drivers-licence (yayy!!!)
Back to the program. We had -as aways- a pretty loaded agenda. We again had a good mix of talks, demos, external speakers and a nice interactive audience of some 40 people attending. The NLOSUG archive has all presentations.

I started off the evening with my traditional "introduction speech", thanking everyone for their contributions and giving an overview of NLOSUG activities since our last meeting in October 2009 plus the activities we plan to do the next few months. I also finally did my talk called "Confused by Solaris-es? So was I", in which I explained the relation between and purpose of different Solaris releases: Solaris 10, Nevada, OpenSolaris, Solaris.Next.

The next talk was done by Gerard van den Berg and Kristian Vlaardingerbroek, both NLOSUG CORE members, who visited FOSDEM 2010 in Brussels. Their take-away from FOSDEM: OpenSolaris is very much alive amongst developers!

After the break (which was again not nearly long enough) Rudi van Drunen of CompetaIT did a great talk on IPv6: what it is, why the world needs it, how it works, and how to configure and use it on OpenSolaris.

The evening was closed by Jeroen Roodhart of the University of Amsterdam (UvA), who explained the pros and cons of running an OpenSolaris/ZFS/NFS based file server which is used as part of the infrastructure for CineGRID: To build an interdisciplinary community that is focused on the research, development, and demonstration of networked collaborative tools to enable the production, use and exchange of very-high-quality digital media over photonic networks.

Finally, to continue the tradition, we ended the evening with snacks and drinks and lots of aftermath. Doors closed at around 23:00. Yet another succesful NLOSUG evening ended.

As said, the presentations have been added to the NLOSUG archive. And our newly created NLOSUG group on Flickr carries visual impressions of the evening.

More...