Is today the last Sunday for Sun?

Between this week's Jonathan's comforting note to Sun employees suggesting we all light a candle and the grim feelings on the Sun tombstone expressed in Jim's blog - one key realization that I personally am feeling rests in quite the opposite way with which I choose to view Sun's position today. Hopefully it isn't just me.

Without enumerating Sun's contributions to the industry and undeniable product positioning - one fact remains undisputable - and that is that the winds of change were blowing. And now those winds are here, the change is being fulfilled.
What is changing, however, is not as much what gave Sun its reputation and respect over the last 2+ decades, but the organizational approach to putting together bits of the strategy for (and executing) the process of running Sun profitably.

Oracle has made public statements that indicate intentions to continue (and in some cases, increase) investing in key product areas that had earned Sun its reputation over time - Java, Solaris, SPARC, MySQL, etc.
How can something that's got legs be dead?

Somehow I have trouble reconciling those thoughts with the thought of a tombstone...

And while lighting a candle or looking at a tombstone might be a worth a moments notice, I am certainly of the opinion that any extended grievance (or capturing and carrying the image thereof on a shirt or a mug) is
not how I (and probably many of you) would like to think of celebrating the confluence, the effective condensation of operating system, middle-ware software and hardware for delivering better business systems.

Sun is not dead - it is going through an evolution of being acquired because it is a living, breathing organization. We are still having our monthly New York City OpenSolaris user community group meeting this Thursday! So is the NYJavaSIG (next week)

Oracle is going for, and stands to gain Sun's innovations and intellectual capital, products, customers and employees. Maybe time will prove differently - but today, with 11 amazing years at Sun at my back, looking at it through the bright candle light lit by a grave is ...not something that I concur with. Its not denial - naturally, organizational directions will dictate the future. One thing is almost always certain, change is inevitable. I am just not sure I agree with the idea of a R.I.P. being applied to such an industry-shaping move.

So in concert with many others, I am moving forward, looking toward the red horizon where the oracles are planning Sun.Next

More...