I rented It Might Get Loud, a 2009 music documentary featuring Jimmy Page (born 1944), The Edge (1961), and Jack White (1975). If you know who these people are and think you might like it, you almost certainly will. I have one really important piece of advice for those who are going to watch it.

It?s really a nice movie; the bulk is slow-paced soft-spoken autobiopic giving the three life/music back-stories. The people and stories are all interesting but not at all like each other. This is more or less a love-fest; there?s no journalism or muckraking happening.

There are little bits of whimsical animation and off-the-wall scriptwriting at work, to keep things from being too linear. Plus decent concert footage of each artist?s bands at work; most I?d seen before, but there was some alarming sequence with Jack apparently bleeding from the fingers during the Raconteurs? Blue Vein rave-up.

My fave parts were Page playing air guitar and grinning cherubically to Link Wray?s cheesy old Rumble; Edge explaining how little of his sound comes from the guitar and how much comes from the effects boxes; and White telling about his career in upholstery.

There movie doesn?t actually have that much of them playing together (but wait for that hint I promised); they take serious runs at In My Time of Dying and (of all things) The Weight, albeit with only two-part harmonies.

That Hint

If you watch this and like it at all, you absolutely must go through the bonus features? ?deleted scenes?. Which include:

  • Page explains how Kashmir came to be, and all three play a few choruses.

  • White explains how Seven Nation Army came to be, and all three play a few choruses.

  • A few cheap Stairway To Heaven laughs; yes, Edge can play it, but not straight-faced.

  • A really nice solo acoustic instrumental from Page.

More...