Our sysadmin Gary was cleaning out one of our hardware labs and put the old Mac IIfx from Bill Woods' old office on the discard pile. I wasn't in the office, but Seth couldn't bear to see it go and of course rightly assumed that I wouldn't want to see it go either. So Seth put the machine in my office. We couldn't just let it sit there, so we brought it into the game lab, experimented with various cables to get it attached to a monitor, and eventually, 20 years after it was made, booted the machine. Now if only we had a pair of PhoneNet connectors, we could network it to the old Powerbook 520c that has an ethernet tranceiver and get the IIfx online!

More...