Who am I? In what way am I myself, and not somebody else? Do I have some kernel of selfhood independent of contingent factors, such as environment and parentage? What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for personhood? Does my selfhood persist over time? Am I the same person now as my childhood self? If I were hit by a car and a physician declared that I was in a persistent vegetative state, could it even be said that I exist? If a surgeon were to swap my brain with another person, which person would be me? Can God cook a breakfast so big that even He can't finish it? This weblog is about identity, the philosophical question of how we determine that a thing is itself and not another thing. Over the coming months, we hope to discuss -- and maybe even answer -- the above questions, and many more. Actually, we won't answer the last question, but please see my weblog about Scale.

More...