IPMP itself is a really old feature. It's in Solaris for several versions now. Just the implementation I've described before is a new one. But in Solaris 10 you don't have this new IPMP implementation. Solaris 10 still uses the old implementation. I will call the old implementation classic IPMP. The basic mechanism of new and classic IPMP is pretty much the same: Providing failure detection mechanisms and switch something to do a failover thus the data address stays available. But internally it's a completely different implementation. While the new mechanism is certainly the future of IPMP, I' m pretty sure you will old mechanism more often in the wild.

Continue reading "Less known Solaris features - IP Multipathing (Part 8): Classic IPMP"

More...