We have just released version 1.1.5 of Jersey, the open source, production quality, reference implementation of JAX-RS. The JAX-RS 1.1 specification is available at the JCP web site and also available in non-normative HTML here.

It will be available soon from the GlassFish v2 and v3 update centers.

For an overview of JAX-RS features read the Jersey user guide. To get started with Jersey read the getting started section of that guide. To understand more about what Jersey depends on read the dependencies section of that guide. See change log here.

This release will align with the soon to be released of Atmosphere 0.5.

Deployment to Google App Engine now works and we have a tracing mechanism (inspired from Hudson) to aid debugging.

In between releasing 1.1.4.1 and 1.1.5 Bill Burke's JAX-RS book has been published. I have not had a chance to look at the book in detail, but it appears generally well received from the tweets i have seen. The examples in the book require RESTEasy so Pavel, with Bill's permission, converted those samples to work with Jersey and, with much help of Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine, embedded GlassFish. The examples required minimal modifications to the web.xml (Java EE 6 solves that problem!) and some minor tweaks to reach parity with some RESTEasy specific features (specifically around configuration of URI content negotiation and human readable formatting of XML responses). Overall the portability of the examples was very good. You can find the samples here.

Jakub has made some good progress on OSGi, many thanks to the developers who have helped test and provide feedback. It is in the trunk, but we decided not to connect it up to the build and deployment process until we have more thoroughly tested the implementation and investigated some areas for further improvement. (It certainly has not been trivial to develop good and robust OSGi support!)

So when OSGi support is ready we will release the next version of Jersey, 1.2.

Meanwhile Santiago has been very busy investigating better hypermedia support for both the Jersey client and server. There is a prototype sample in a branch that reflects Santiago's current thinking.

For feedback send email to:

users@jersey.dev.java.net (archived here)

or log a bugs/features here.

More...