We are happy to announce the selected sessions for our "MySQL and Friends" developer room at FOSDEM 2010 in Brussels, Belgium. It will take place on Sunday, 7th of February from 9:00-17:00 in Room AW1.121. In total, we received 20 submissions from 15 speakers. We'd like to thank them very much for their great proposals!

As we only have 12 speaking slots (20 mins each) available that day, we first needed to perform a selection process. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to perform a full-blown voting process that involved the community at large. Since we didn't want to do this in a completely closed committee, we decided to involve all speakers that submitted a talk in this.

After this voting process, the final candidates are (ordered by last name):

Speaker: David Axmark
Title: Drizzle, A MySQL fork for the Web
Abstract:
The Drizzle project is building a database optimized for Cloud and Net applications. It is being designed for massive concurrency on modern multi-cpu/core architecture. The code is originally derived from MySQL. The code has been simplified by removing many of the original features (Stored procedures, triggers, views, some types etc). Other features are being moved from the core to plugins.
Speaker: Piotr Biel
Title: Multi-Master Replication Manager for MySQL
Abstract:
  • Introduction to MySQL high availability with MMM
  • MMM architecture overview
  • pros and cons
  • examples of usage
Speaker: Ronald Bradford
Title: 10x performance improvements - A case study
Abstract:
Taking a client from a 700ms (at times 1-2 seconds) page load time to a consistent 60ms is a great success story for improvement in database performance. In this presentation we will outline the steps taken and what can be applied to any website as one model to use in evaluation of your website. While part of a longer talk, we will be reviewing the highlights including:

  • Identify what is truly slow and high volume queries
  • Choosing the right indexes including unique indexes, concatenated and partical indexes
  • Choosing the right storage engines (MyISAM, InnoDB and Memory)
  • Removing load including synchronous/real-time queries, master load, locking and sharding
  • The best performance improvement for a SQL statement is to eliminate it
  • Quantifying improvements made
The 10 Points are:

  1. Monitor, Monitor, Monitor
  2. Identify problem SQL
  3. Analyze problem SQL
  5. Offloading master load
  6. Improving SQL
  7. Storage engines
  8. Caching
  9. Sharding
  10. Handling database maintenance
Bonus: Front end improvements

Speaker: Kris Buytaert
Title: MySQL HA overview
Abstract:
Database High Availability is often the core component to build a higly available infrastructure.

This presentation will guide you trough the different options available with their advantages and disadvantages when choosing a method to setup a Highly available MySQL setup.

We'll cover MySQL Cluster, MySQL DRBD, MultiMaster based HA setups and different others including a look at how to integrate them with the Operating System.
Speaker: Stéphane Combaudon
Title: Correcting replication data drift with Maatkit
Abstract:
Replication with MySQL is very easy to set up but also very easy to break. As soon as inconsistencies are introduced, the master and the slaves start being desynchronized - and most often, you have no way to be quickly and efficiently aware of the problem as MySQL offers no built-in mechanism to check data consistency between servers.

Fortunately Maatkit has a neat solution with 2 nice scripts: mk-table-checksum, which is a tool to detect inconsistencies between a master and its slaves and mk-table-sync, which can correct automatically these problems detected with mk-table-checksum.

This session will show you first how to use both tools depending on your replication setup (master-slaves or master-master) and then how to get the most from the multiple options that are available.

Speaker: Marc Delisle
Title: State of phpMyAdmin
Abstract:
phpMyAdmin is still evolving. New features in version 3.3 include changes tracking, replication support and database synchronization. Other lesser known features like data transformation and graphical relational manager will be covered as well.
Speaker: Seppo Jaakola
Title: Galera Replication for MySQL
Abstract:
This session will present the current state of Galera replication project. The presentation will contain elements like:

  • High level overview of Galera replication method
  • Contents of recent MySQL/Galera 0.7 release (fully open source)
  • Feedback and experiences from the field
  • New benchmark results
  • Short term road map, 0.8 development status
Speaker: Vladimir Kolesnikov
Title: Effective SSD for your Database - a PBXT Primer
Abstract:
In this session it will shown how to efficiently combine SSD and HDD storage for the benefit of performance of a MySQL database. Examples involving the PBXT storage engine will be demonstrated.
Speaker: Giuseppe Maxia
Title: Sharding for the masses
Abstract:
The Spider storage engine, a plugin for MySQL 5.1 and later, is an extension of partitioning. Using this engine, the user can deal transparently with multiple backends in the server layer. This means that the data is accessible from any application without code changes. This lecture will briefly introduce MySQL partitioning, and then shows how to create and use the Spider engine, with some practical examples. This talk covers the latest version of the Spider and the Vertical Partition engines, including the related technology of UDFs that come with the engines. Practical instructions of how to install and use these technologies will be provided during the session.
Speaker: Kristian Nielsen
Title: Beyond MySQL GA: patches, storage engines, forks, and pre-releases
Abstract:
There is more to the MySQL server than MySQL 5.1 GA.
There are a lot of patches available that are not included in the official MySQL source tree. There are several new or enhanced storage engines. There are a handful of branches of the MySQL source code maintained by community members. And there are official MySQL milestone releases and snapshots. But to benefit from all of this, one has to know that they exist, and know how to use them.
In my talk, I will first give an overview of what community enhancements of various kinds are available. I will then go through the options for using these enhancements, including using pre-build binaries from various sources, building from alternative source trees, building storage engine plugins, and patching upstream MySQL sources.
Speaker: Mikael Ronström
Title: The new MySQL thread pool design
Abstract:
This session will present a new thread pool design worked out in the last few months. The design will be presented together with its pros and possible cons. Benchmark data validating its relevance to users will also be presented. The main benefits of a thread pool design is that users can now have thousands of connections to the MySQL Server in a scalable manner. It also provides a performance which is more independent of the number of concurrently active connections than previously.

Speaker: Geert Vanderkelen
Title: MySQL and Python: an overview
Abstract:
There has been lots of chatter about other languages, but not much about Python. This talk will give an overview of what is available to connect to MySQL, and also introduce MySQL Connector/Python.

These talks will now be put in the room schedule on the MySQL Forge Wiki. We look forward to having these sessions! If you happen to be a FOSDEM, please stop by at our Developer Room!

More...