One of Santa's duties at our house is system administration, Ubuntu, XP, Vista, and OpenSolaris. Why doesn't the OpenOffice (version 3.1) spell checker work on the OpenSolaris PC? It turns out the dictionary was packaged wrong in OpenSolaris. This affects US English. I don't know if there are similar problems for other languages. See openoffice.org for the problem report and solution. It's an easy fix. In OpenOffice go into Tools -> Extension Manager to delete your existing US English dictionary; otherwise the extension manager will refuse to overwrite it with what it thinks is to be an identical version. Then do Tools -> Language -> More Dictionaries Online. Select US English; install; and you're done.

More...