This is a discussion on Oracle PeopleSoft Payroll Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 and Sun Storage F5100 World Reco - Solaris Rss ; The Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server combined with Sun FlashFire technology, the Sun Storage F5100 flash array, has produced World Record Performance on PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark. A Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server with four new 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII processors ...
The Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server combined with Sun FlashFire technology, the Sun Storage F5100 flash array, has produced World Record Performance on PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark.
- A Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server with four new 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII processors and a Sun Storage F5100 flash array is 33% faster than the HP rx6600 (4 x 1.6GHz Itanium2 processors) on the PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark. The Sun solution used the Oracle 11g database running on Solaris 10.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server with four 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII processors and the Sun Storage F5100 flash array is 35% faster than the 2027 MIPs IBM Z990 (6 Z990 Gen1 processors) on the PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark with Oracle 11g database running on Solaris 10. The IBM result used IBM DB2 for Z/OS 8.1 for the database.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server with four 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII processors and a Sun Storage F5100 flash array processed 250K employee payroll checks using PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 and Oracle 11g running on Solaris 10 with 4 different execution strategies with an average improvement of 25% using only 25% CPU utilization compared to HP's results run on the rx6600 which used 50% CPU utilization.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server combined with Sun FlashFire technology processed 8 Sequential Jobs and single run control with a total time of 527.85 mins, an improvement of 20% compared to HPs time of 633.09 mins.
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server combined with Sun FlashFire technology demonstrated a speedup of 81% going from 1 to 8 streams on the PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark using the Oracle 11g database.
- The Sun FlashFire technology dramatically improves IO performance for the PeopleSoft Payroll benchmark with significant performance boost over best optimized FC disks (60+).
- The Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array is a high performance high density solid state flash array which provides a read latency of only 0.5 msec which is about 10 times faster than the normal disk latencies 5 msec measured on this benchmark.
- Sun estimates that the MIPS rating for a Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 server is over 2742 MIPS.
System Processor OS/Database Time in Minutes Version Run 1 Run 2 Run 3 Sun M4000 4x 2.53GHz SPARC64 VII Solaris/Oracle 11g 79.35 288.47 527.85 9.0 HP rx6600 4x 1.6GHz Itanium2 HP-UX/Oracle 11g 81.17 350.16 633.25 9.0 IBM Z990 6x Gen1 2027 MIPS Z/OS /DB2 107.34 328.66 544.80 9.0 HP rx6600 4x 1.6GHz Itanium2 HP-UX/Oracle 11g 105.70 369.59 633.09 9.0 Note: IBM benchmark documents show that 6 Gen1 procs is 2027 mips. 13 Gen1 processors were in this config but only 6 were available for testing.
Results and Configuration Summary
- 1 x Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 (4 x 2.53 GHz/32GB)
1 x Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array (40 x 24GB FMODs)
1 x Sun Storage J4200 (12 x 450GB SAS 15K RPM)
- Solaris 10 5/09
Oracle PeopleSoft HCM 9.0
Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise (PeopleTools) 8.49.08
Micro Focus Server Express 4.0 SP4
Oracle RDBMS 22.214.171.124 64-bit
HP's Mercury Interactive QuickTest Professional 9.0
The PeopleSoft 9.0 Payroll (North America) benchmark is a performance benchmark established by PeopleSoft to demonstrate system performance for a range of processing volumes in a specific configuration. This information may be used to determine the software, hardware, and network configurations necessary to support processing volumes. This workload represents large batch runs typical of OLTP workloads during a mass update.
To measure five application business process run times for a database representing large organization. The five processes are:
For the benchmark, we collect at least four data points with different number of job streams (parallel jobs). This batch benchmark allows a maximum of eight job streams to be configured to run in parallel.
- Paysheet Creation: generates payroll data worksheet for employees, consisting of std payroll information for each employee for given pay cycle.
- Payroll Calculation: Looks at Paysheets and calculates checks for those employees.
- Payroll Confirmation: Takes information generated by Payroll Calculation and updates the employees' balances with the calculated amounts.
- Print Advice forms: The process takes the information generated by payroll Calculations and Confirmation and produces an Advice for each employee to report Earnings, Taxes, Deduction, etc.
- Create Direct Deposit File: The process takes information generated by above processes and produces an electronic transmittal file use to transfer payroll funds directly into an employee bank a/c.
Key Points and Best Practices
Oracle PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 benchmark, Sun M4000 (4 2.53GHz SPARC64) 79.35 min, IBM Z990 (6 gen1) 107.34 min, HP rx6600 (4 1.6GHz Itanium2) 105.70 min, http://www.oracle.com/apps_benchmark...eoplesoft.html Results 10/13/2009.