About a year and a half ago I blogged about CUPS being available in build 87 and later of OpenSolaris. A couple of weeks ago Ghee blogged about How to turn on CUPS on OpenSolaris. I thought that I would recap and add a little to the discussions.

First, installing and enabling CUPS on OpenSolaris
opensolaris% pfexec pkg install SUNWhal-cups-utils opensolaris% pfexec svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/cups.xml opensolaris% pfexec /usr/sbin/print-service -s cups
Once you have CUPS running on your system, you can start to configure it using the GUI print management tool that comes with the OpenSolaris Desktop. The tool is launched via the Desktop menus by selecting "System" -> "Administration" -> "Print Manager". An example follows:

When you use the management application to perform a privileged action (like creating a new print queue, modifying print queue properties, or deleting an existing print queue), you will prompted for the "root" password.

Once you have authenticated, the action will be performed. Before you ask, yes this needs to be better integrated with RBAC.

If you have forgotten the root password that you set when you installed the system, you can login using the account that you created during installation and from a shell execute:
opensolaris% pfexec passwd root
This will prompt you to set a new root password. The reason this works is because the initial account is given the "root" role when it's created. Note that this only works for accounts with the "root" role.

CUPS also has a web based management interface that you can access via http://localhost:631/admin/. The web interface provides similar functionality to the desktop GUI, but the desktop GUI is also integrated with USB hotplug support, so when you plug in a USB printer, it should automatically create a queue for you and offer you the opportunity to modify it's configuration via a notification area notice on your desktop.

More...