Hat Tip Bill A.

Attachment View in Convergence

This is very cool. The new update to Sun Convergence, Convergence 1 Update 3 (shipping as part of Communications Suite 7), in conjunction with our new Indexing and Search Service 1 product, presents users with a grid of attachments in their email. (Click image at left for larger view.) In a nutshell, here's how all this functionality comes together:

- The ISS server "collects" all the attachments across all a user's email.
- The Convergence client displays a new virtual folder, ?Attachments," in the folder tree for this collection.
- Convergence presents the attachments in three views. (This image shows the grid view.)
- Users can search the attachment list by filtering mechanisms (see below).
- Operations for viewing the message the attachment belongs to and creating a message with a selected attachment are available.
- Note: If ISS is not deployed, this feature is not presented.

Filter View of Attachments in Convergence

Here's a view of the Convergence Filter Attachments (click image at right for larger view). You can filter your search based on the sender of the attachment, a date range when you received the attachment, or the type of file that you are searching. This image is showing how to filter by sender.

In the filtered view, you still have the capability for viewing the message the attachment belongs to and creating a message with a selected attachment.

Film Strip View of Attachments in Convergence

As the image to the left shows (click for larger view), you can also view attachments in film strip mode. The film strip is displayed on right-hand side, you can arrow or mouse down, select one by one, and the selection is displayed in the middle of the Convergence UI. Convergence also supplies a slideshow view, which takes over the entire browser. Controls are displayed at the bottom for navigating through attachments left and right, as well viewing them on a timed basis (that is, using a timer to view them).

Searching Attachments By Using ISS

When you do a search from the attachments grid, one choice is to search by body. By using ISS, you get to have a fast body search, which is more than just a body search, your attachments are searched as well. And if you're like me, I have tons of attachments in email that I'm constantly looking for. Attachments can be in a variety of formats such as PDF; Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio; StarOffice/Open Office; HTML; and more.

More...