Today I needed to play around work out something on RHEL and OpenSolaris. I have both systems running in a VirtualBox on my Mac and because of the latest update to VirtualBox I was supposed to update also the so called Guest Additions on RHEL and OpenSolaris.

The update went smoothly on RHEL, but on OpenSolaris I got this frightened message:

Current administration requires that a unique instance of the package be created. However, the maximum number of instances of the package which may be supported at one time on the same system has already been met. No changes were made to the system. As you already may have noticed I'm not a native English speaker, but is requires a unique instance and maximum number of instances has already been met a proper way to express: The package is already installed, and that's why the package can't get installed another time?

Indeed, as the VirtualBox User Manual (3.0.6) states:
The Guest Additions should be updated by first uninstalling the existing Guest Additions and then installing the new ones. Attempting to install new Guest Additions without removing the existing ones is not possible.
But how? That's not mentioned in the users manual. Why? I'm new to VirtualBox and it's the first time I (want to) upgrade the guest additions.
»Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.«
Okay, you're right, calm down. To cut a long story short:

  1. To uninstall the current package: # pkgrm SUNWvboxguest The following package is currently installed: SUNWvboxguest Sun VirtualBox Guest Additions (i386) 3.0.4,REV=r50677.2009.08.04.19.24 Do you want to remove this package? [y,n,?,q] y ## Removing installed package instance This package contains scripts which will be executed with super-user permission during the process of removing this package. Do you want to continue with the removal of this package [y,n,?,q] y ## Verifying package dependencies in global zone ## Processing package information. ## Executing preremove script. ... ... Removal of was successful.
  2. And install the new package: /media/VBOXADDITIONS_3.0.6_52128# pkgadd -d VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg The following packages are available: 1 SUNWvboxguest Sun VirtualBox Guest Additions (i386) 3.0.6,REV=r52128.2009.09.09.19.32 Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]: a Processing package instance from Sun VirtualBox Guest Additions(i386) 3.0.6,REV=r52128.2009.09.09.19.32 VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL) ... ... This package contains scripts which will be executed with super-user permission during the process of installing this package. Do you want to continue with the installation of [y,n,?] y Installing Sun VirtualBox Guest Additions as ... ... Please re-login to activate the X11 guest additions. If you have just un-installed the previous guest additions a REBOOT is required. Installation of was successful.And because I just un-installed the previous guest additions I now initiate reboot: # /sbin/init 6

More...