A while back an OpenSolaris repository called /contrib was introduced to basically allow anyone with an account on opensolaris.org to submit Open Source applications/libraries to an OpenSolaris repo. The details of how to go about doing this are best saved for another blog entry (add to ToDo list). This new repository gave us a real opportunity to package up Ruby on Rails and make it available to OpenSolaris users in the package format that they are familiar with. We'd avoided the main /release and /dev repositories because Rails rev'd too frequently for us to be able to keep up with the changes given that the processes for getting into those repositories are fairly lengthy. Besides there was always the 'gem install' command.

So we've now added Ruby on Rails 2.3.3 and it's dependent Gems to the /contrib repository. Since then Rails 2.3.4 has been released, more on that later.

To install the rails package on a system with OpenSolaris 2009.06 or later you need to run the following commands:

% pfexec pkg set-publisher -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/contrib contrib

% pfexec pkg refresh

% pfexec pkg install ruby-rails

% pfexec gem install rack

The first command gives you access to the /contrib repository and all of the packages that it contains and is worth doing anyway as there's lots of great packages there besides Ruby on Rails. It's a one off command, once you've added /contrib it will remain in your list of package publishers. The second command isn't strictly necessary the first time, but it's useful to remember as /contrib updates on a weekly basis and your local cache of package names and versions doesn't refresh automatically.

The next command installs the 'ruby-rails' package and if it's not already installed, installs the SUNWruby18 package which contains Ruby 1.8.7 and RubyGems 1.3.1 (versions correct at the time of writing). The last command installs rack, which is now required by Rails, something we didn't find out until the last moment we moved to Rails 2.3.3. We are looking to package rack and add it as a dependency to the ruby-rails package. The ruby-rails package installs to what is effectively the vendor gem location in /usr and the rails and rake executables install to /usr/bin (as symbolic links). You can still use the gem command to install Ruby on Rails versions later than 2.3.3 if you need to and the /usr/bin/rails command will pick up the later Rails version.

At the moment the benefits of using 'pkg' to install Rails over using 'gem' are mainly just the convenience of having dependencies pulled in automatically and having the 'rails' command on the PATH. In the future, we'll add native gems that are used to provide infrastructure to Ruby on Rails, gems that usually require a compiler to build, along with knowledge of the location of any dependent libraries. Ultimately we'll be able to provide a single package that installs a complete, optimised, Ruby on Rails infrastructure.

More...