In the my department we run Sun Ray servers for our users to use and abuse the latest builds of OpenSolaris and to try and find and log bugs. We used to maintain a collection of Nevada based servers but the regular upgrades became less regular as we got stuck with live upgrade issues and the time taken to maintain them increased. Currently Sun Ray 4.2 or 4.1 on OpenSolaris 2009.06 is not supported but getting it working has been possible for a while now - the community efforts are documented on wiki.sun-rays.org.

We have two systems a Sun Fire x4240 with 2 Quad Core Opterons 32GB RAM and a 64 thread SPARC T5220 with 64GB of RAM. Both are running build 122 from the /dev IPS repository. 123 will go onto another server and then we will probably upgrade them one at a time when a new build comes out.

These days installing OpenSolaris 2009.06 is easy in our lab using AI (automated installer). Once you have a working install these are some of the things you need to do to get everything working. Most of this information is from the various internal and external wikis (see above) but I'm going to write it down in case anybody else want to play.

  1. Set up a static IP and disable NWAM.
    $ svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
    $ svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default
  2. Grab the EA2 Sun Ray Server Software release gunzip and untar it
  3. Install SUNWdhcs SUNWdhcsb SUNWdhcm SUNWmfrun SUNWtltk SUNWdtbas
    this can be done using IP
    $ pfexec pkg install SUNWdhcsb SUNWdhcm SUNWmfrun
    $ pfexec pkg install SUNWmfrun SUNWtltk SUNWdtbas
  4. Install the software using utinstall as normal.
  5. If you running less than build 115 (that includes the release version of 2009.06) then you will need to work around 6822673 by editing /etc/opt/SUNWut/loginGUI.start
    197c197< $LOGIN_GUI_PROG -l "$LOGIN_TYPE" "$@" &---> LANG=C $LOGIN_GUI_PROG -l "$LOGIN_TYPE" "$@" &
  6. Edit /etc/pam.conf and add the pam stack for gdm support. # START: To support gdm on SRSS, added following by hand...gdm auth requisite /opt/SUNWut/lib/pam_sunray_hotdesk.so.1gdm auth requisite /opt/SUNWut/lib/sunray_get_user.so.1 property=usergdm auth required /opt/SUNWut/lib/pam_sunray_amgh.so.1gdm auth sufficient /opt/SUNWkio/lib/pam_kiosk.so log=user ignoreusergdm auth requisite /opt/SUNWkio/lib/pam_kiosk.so log=user gdm auth sufficient /opt/SUNWut/lib/pam_sunray.sogdm auth requisite /opt/SUNWut/lib/sunray_get_user.so.1 promptgdm auth required /opt/SUNWut/lib/pam_sunray_amgh.so.1 clearusergdm auth requisite pam_authtok_get.so.1gdm auth required pam_dhkeys.so.1gdm auth required pam_unix_cred.so.1gdm auth required pam_unix_auth.so.1gdm account sufficient /opt/SUNWkio/lib/pam_kiosk.so log=usergdm account sufficient /opt/SUNWut/lib/pam_sunray.sogdm account requisite pam_roles.so.1gdm account required pam_unix_account.so.1gdm session requisite /opt/SUNWut/lib/pam_sunray_hotdesk.so.1gdm session required /opt/SUNWkio/lib/pam_kiosk.so log=usergdm session required pam_unix_session.so.1gdm password required pam_dhkeys.so.1gdm password requisite pam_authtok_get.so.1gdm password requisite pam_authtok_check.so.1gdm password required pam_authtok_store.so.1# END: To support gdm on SRSS
  7. Reboot the system.
    At this point you can configure the Sun Ray server as your used to, do your utpolicy setting, set utcrypto up to your preferences all the normal stuff that you do when setting up a Sun Ray server.

    On the basic level that should be it - almost eveything things works fine we have NCSM, RHA and AMGH working correcly. And since we configured it sever selection. When we find things that don't we log bugs. It's certainly nice to have OpenSolaris on my desktop at work.

More...