Recently when I was installing DB2 V9.5 on a brand new Sun system running Solaris x64, I got a coredump when creating a DB2 instance by 'db2icrt' command. The error message is :

"Segmentation Fault - core dumped"

This looks like a memory access error. But it's also very confusing because I had the same version of DB2 running on another server and I never had the problem of creating an instance on it.

Spending some time poking around on both systems, I finally understood what's going wrong on my new system - I had a typo in the server name in /etc/hosts file! As the 'hostname' returned a wrong name, DB2 got unknown host error when ping it, which triggered the segmentation fault. Problem solved, though the error message is a bit misleading.

More...