For the last two years, my husband John Plocher and I have been volunteer after-school tutors once a week at Santa Maria Urban Ministry (SMUM) in the inner city of San Jose, California. Today, SMUM hosted a lunch and tour for three bishops: our own Bishop Mary plus the two Bishops of our Companion Diocese who are visiting this week:

John and I were invited both as volunteers and because we serve on SMUM's Board. I wore the Tanzanian dress I bought yesterday from Margaret Mpango (Bishop Gerard's wife). Rev. Lorenzo Robles, his wife Carmen and the SMUM volunteers told the Bishops and their staff about the many programs managed out of this small building, including: food and clothing distribution, a preschool and after school program, tax services, a computer room, family counseling, and soon: a small medical clinic. Katy and Tanzanian Visitors
Greetings at SMUM
SMUM Presentation
Lunch Line at SMUM
Lunch at SMUM
Reading Email at SMUM
3 Bishops, Carmen, Lawrence
Bishop Gerard & Carmen
3 Bishops with computers

Images Copyright 2009 by Katy Dickinson and John Plocher

More...