A few months ago, I decided it was time for a new home server. The old one (see picture) is now more than 3 years old (the hardware is 2 years older), so it was time to plan ahead for the inevitable hardware failure. Curiously enough, my old server started to refuse working with some of my external USB disks only a few weeks ago, which confirmed my need for a new system. This is the beginning of a series of blog articles around building a new OpenSolaris home server.

Home Server Goals

Let's go over some goals for a home server to help us decide on the hardware. IMHO, a good home server should:

  1. Run OpenSolaris. This means I don't want an appliance because this is too limiting and I'd end up hacking it to make it run something it doesn't do by itself anyway. It should therfore use a real OS.
    It also means I don't want to use Linux, because quite frankly the whole Linux landscape is too unstable, confused and de-focused (don't get me wrong: It's nice for experimentation and as a hobbyist-OS, but I want something more serious to guard my data).
    Windows is out of the question because it delivers too little for too high a price.
    I like BSD (and used to run NetBSD on my Amiga 4000 back then in the mid nineties), but it seems to be more oriented to some (albeit interesting) niches for my taste.
    Right now I prefer OpenSolaris because it's rock-solid, clean, well-documented, well-designed and it has lots of advanced features that other OSes only dream of. Yes, I'd still write and do the same if I weren't a Sun employee.
  2. Leverage ZFS. This should be a no-brainer, but I just wanted to point out that any system that is serious about its data should absolutely run ZFS because of the end-to-end-integrity. Period. And then there are many useful features such as compression, send/receive, snapshots, ease of administration, no fscks and much more. Oh, and I'm looking forward to leveraging encryption and de-duplication at home in the near future, too!
  3. Use ECC Memory: What's the use of having end-to-end data integrity with ZFS if your data is corrupted before ZFS can create it's checksum? That's why you need ECC Memory. Simply put: Use ECC memory and kiss those unexpected, unexplicable system crashes and broken data surprises good bye.
  4. Be Power Efficient: Think 1.5 Euros of electricity bill per Watt per Year for a system running 24/7. The difference between your typical gaming PC and a power-efficient home server can easily be 50W or more when idle, so you're looking at an extra 75 Euros and more of free cash if you just pick your components more carefully. Notice that I'm not saying "Low-Power". There are a lot of compromises when trying to reach absolute low-powerness. Like many optimization problems, squeezing the last few Watts out of your system means investing a lot of money and effort while sacrificing important features. So I want this system to be power-efficient, but without too many sacrifices.
  5. Use a Moderate Amount of Space: While my home server sits in the basement, form doesn't matter. But I may move into a new apartment where networking to the basement is not an option. Then the server needs to be living-room capable and have a decent WAF. Which also brings us to:
  6. Be quiet: A power-efficient server needs less cooling which helps with being quiet. Again, we don't want to stretch the limits of quietness at all costs, but we want to make sure we don't do any obvious mistakes here that sacrifice the living-room capabilities of the system
What's Next

In the next blog entry, we'll discuss a few processor and platform considerations and reveal a cool, yet powerful option that presented itself to me. Meanwhile, feel free to check out other home server resources, such as Simon Breden's blog, Matthias Pfuetzner's blog, Jan Brosowski's Blog (German) or one of the many home server discussions on the zfs-discuss mailing list.

What are your requirements for a good home server? What do you currently use at home to fulfill your home server needs? What would you add to the above list of home server requirements? Feel free to add a comment below!

More...