As the world moves ever towards everything online, one thing I'll miss in music are those obscure songs which make it onto an album, but which never make it to the airwaves. Some of my favorite songs from artists over the years have been these. The catalyst to me hearing these songs, of course, is the 'at least one hit' on the album which prompts me to purchase the album in the first place. Wanting to get my money's worth and hear more of what the artist has to offer, I listen to the entire album. And often, I hear a song which I like better then the song which prompted me to purchase the album in the first place. Sometimes it takes me several listens of a song to warm up to it.

In this day and age of MP3 players and being able to purchase single songs, it think it's going to be more and more likely that artists will shoot for creating that one hit song, rather then a compilation which will make an entire traditional album. There will be some, to be sure, which will compile entire albums, but then, will I want to purchase those non-hit songs? At least with an album you pay for the entire thing up front. You're stuck. You've made your investment, so you might as well listen to the whole album at least once. But with single-song purchases, will I want to buy 15 songs when I really only know I like one? Will a sampling of a non-hit song be enough for me to buy it or warm up to it? I fear not. Those obscure but favorite songs might go the way of the dinosaurs.

More...