My daughter is off to college this Fall and now has a nice Toshiba laptop to use at home and school. This means that I now have a machine to install OpenSolaris (and other OS') on! But, alas, the system lacks the necessary memory for OpenSolaris and won't run the live CD. (The system won't run the Ubuntu 9.04 release either) There were also errors about the USB buses not responding and being taken offline ("No SOF interrupts have been received. This USB UHCI host controller is unusable.") I'm hoping that a memory boost may help. If not, well, that could be a problem.
A quick check of SDRAM prices shows that it will be about $100 to update this machine. Which is an AMD Duron 1.3GHz on a K7T Turbo2 ATX MB with (currently) 256MB of RAM. State of the art for 2002, but plenty of horsepower for non-Windows machines. Well, once I update the RAM to the max, which looks like it will have to be 3 new 512MB DIMMS. Will have to shop around a bit and see how low I can get decent RAM.
Then the adventure can continue . . . .

More...