Discovered via Boing Boing this morning, I found this article particularly enlightening. Bruce Sterling talking about the future, picking five technologies from today, "The Cloud! Web Squared! The Internet of Screens! The Internet of Things! Augmented Reality!" and showing how they would seem completely normal to anyone in the future.

They're phantom far-out notions gobbled up by the real world. They packed in there so deep that nobody notices them. So, yes, I can write about it. It's just: it doesn't look futuristic. It looks way too real.

Why isn't it grand? Why isn't it as fantastically grand as the spectrum of all possibility? Well, why isn't today grand? Why didn?t we wake up this morning in direct confrontation with the entirety of past and future? The present day is the only day we?re ever given.
[ Bruce Sterling, writing for Webstock ]
Definitely worth reading the whole article.

More...