Hi people , this post is all about a project which I started roughly a month ago by the name of "QFlicks". It was named so because the graphics library I chose to use is the popular Ot and the application is a movie collection cataloger which scans the disk for media files and gets film informations (duration, plot, cover ,rating ,poster cover , casts etc) from the popular Amazon's http://imdb.com or the Internet Movie Database . It also allows the user to filter his possessions based on movie titles,genre,ratings , seen or unseen etc.

The later versions of the software will witness subtitle downloader extention and many more.

Here are the basic features which I plan to inmplement in version 1.0
  • Scanning user-chosen directories to find media files (films in a first time)

How : Used a recursive OS walk algorithm to extract movies from all folders , sub-folders , sub-sub folders etc.

  • Extracting film titles from file names (tough one if files are not properly named)

How: Using Neural Network algorithms and and basic Regular Expression.
  • Create a list of these names in a database get films information (duration, plot, poster cover , rating , casts etc) from imdb

How: Used a library named IMDBPy as imdb.com does not provide and API (Another example of Amazon's miserness). The database used is MySQL which experienced developers feel is a wrong choice for desktop.

  • display films list and information of the selected one

  • basic settings handling

  • Filtering based on genre , title ,rating seen or unseen etc.

To Do: Learn multiple substring search in SQL ( SQL sucks , I hate it)

  • Clean and simple gui

Plugins (towards upper versions):
  • subtitle downloader
  • playlist manager
  • automatic new files inclusion (directory survey)
  • music album and video series handling
Tools Used:
  • Python as the Programming Language
  • Qt as Graphics Library
  • QtDesigner for the Gui
  • SVN as versioning program
  • MySQL as database software
  • IMDBPy as the library
  • GPLv3 licence
Here is the screen-shot of my Work :

The sourceforge Link for the project is :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qflicks/

Get the source from the Repository :

svn co https://qflicks.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/qflicks qflicks

Current OS Support :

Gnu/Linux with Qt >= 4.5 and MySQL >= 5.0

Newbies who don't know how to use SVN or are facing problems with code can mail me at

mailto: abhii.cse.nitdgp-AT-gmail-DOT-com

The project is likely to see its first release on 24th of August 2009

More...