This is probably the biggest and longest running single project I've ever undertaken at Sun, and itwas enough to convince me that I would prefer shorter "flog-it and leg-it" projects in future. DEC(remember them?) gone a long way with the customer, and a fully functional VMS/Oracle proof of conceptimplementation was in place, complete with VT100 screen dumps and hundreds of DCL scripts. It alsomade extensive use of VMS batch queues and print spooling. Somehow we won the business, and myjob was to architect the final implementation on SunOS/Oracle. My solution was to convert all the DCLto Bourne Shell, and to write my own batch/print queueing system (which was network extensible withNFS ... Sun Grid Engine eat your heart out!) plus tape management system. The system went live in over50 sheriffs' courts (some with just a single SPARCserver 1, but larger sites having a Sun 4/330 serverand multiple SPARCserver 1 clients). This was my first exposure to Oracle and SQL*NET. I have no ideaif or when the system was replaced (except that I was asked to advise on the Solaris 2 port a few yearlater).

More...