I ran into this problem while running this "Stand-alone Eclipse RCP".

SAP Community Network Forums: Unable to open hprof file on Debian ...
on Solaris (and presumably Linux), this is because of an Eclipse bug -- the org.eclipse.core.internal.filesystem.local.LocalFi leNatives.internalGetFileInfo() method calls the system lstat() function, which is limited to 2GB files
I couldn't find a patch for this bug but I guess fix is somewhere since this problem has been known for more than a year.
Luckily, for this particular app, 2 work arounds are available which is explained in the SAP forum above.
I tried 1st w/a of giving java heap dump file name on command line but I'm not sure it worked. I'm now testing 2nd w/a of hacking snapshotHistory.ser and it seems to work.
Maybe I should have used jhat or NetBeans to begin with.

Here's info of Eclipse native library called via JNI. The output only has 'lstat' but not 'lstat64'. I don't know if this proves Eclipse bug.
$ pldd $(pgrep MemoryAnalyzer) | grep eclipse | while read line; do nm $line | ggrep -E '\|lstat|internalGetFileInfo\>' && echo $line ;done[72] | 4732| 296|FUNC |GLOB |0 |9 |Java_org_eclipse_core_internal_filesystem_local_L ocalFileNatives_internalGetFileInfo[87] | 0| 0|FUNC |GLOB |0 |UNDEF |lstat/mat/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/69/1/.cp/os/solaris/sparc/liblocalfile_1_0_0.so

More...