I am a rebel... I live life on the edge... I tear the labels off pillows... I drink outdated milk. Look out world... errr.. no wait.. ummm.. right... ummm

So this weekend was a super exciting adventure. Did I go bungee jumping? Nope. Skydiving? Nope. Well.. how about... hmmm.. OK... I stayed in as usual, and... can you guess? Yah, if you know me, you know exactly what I was doing. Sigh.

I added another hard drive to my computer. Wow eh? Will the excitement ever end? Ha. I'm now up to 3 terrabytes of disk space, and already thinking... I should have bought 2 new drives instead of just one.

Adding a new drive gave me the perfect opportunity to re-install Linux and get a clean start. You know, you'd think I'd learn... it's never easy no matter what OS you pick and I spent most of teh weekend futzing with installs and configuring and reinstalling and reconfiguring... My main OS is as usual, openSUSE. I installed openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and the latest openSUSE 11.2 Milestone (aka Alpha). I also tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha as well... but that one won't boot for some reason. The main problems from this weekend's adventures seem to be related to my custom partition layout, and the new ext4 filesystem format I started tinkering with on this install... openSUSE 11.1 doesn't speak ext4 by default (although I can enable experimental support for it if I'm really daring).

The update to KDE4.3 in openSUSE 11.1 went very smoothly this time around. My previous install had a lot of debris left around from all the incremental upgrades I did from the initial 4.0.3 to 4.3. This debris caused all sorts of interesting probelms... nothing catastrophic, but annoying at times.

So... up and running again.. and only 1 terrabyte of data left to sort through... eeep!

If anyone is interested in what KDE4.3 looks like (you know.. you guys who think Windows is the ONLY way to operate a computer), take a look at these links:

ZDNet Australia - a video made by some guys at ZDNet Australia where they showed KDE4 to some unsuspecting people, telling them it was Windows 7 and asking their opinions.

YouTube video 1 - A short video that just shows a little of what the desktop looks like

YouTube video 2 - A longer video demoing some of the features in detail

More...