Week ending Sunday 2009/08/23

Monday 13:24

Heh, wandering down a forest trail on a Howe Sound island, I met another Twitterer: @MarkAllerton - felt odd.[Original, responding to @MarkAllerton.]

Monday 15:53

@MarkAllerton Works for me. I like meeting online people IRL. Forest pathway adds flavor.[Original, responding to @MarkAllerton.]

Monday 15:58

Rode the new Canada line today for a few stops. It'll do well I think[Original.]

Monday 17:21

Science proves: Life worth living! www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/08/14/Chocolate-linked-to-stronger-heart/UPI-30111250260157/[Original.]

Monday 17:45

Lengthening a few thousand shortened URLs takes time.[Original.]

Monday 17:46

tinyurl.com is particularly slow.[Original.]

Monday 17:55

@matthewlaird Ruby URL lengthening almost fits in a tweet :) Making it do so would be code-masturbation.[Original, responding to @matthewlaird.]

Monday 19:10

On the few occasions when Ruby sucks, it *really* sucks: lindsaar.net/2007/12/9/rbuf_filltimeout-error[Original.]

Monday 19:13

On this particular evening, tinyurl.com is timing out on HEAD requests every couple of hundred times. Which makes batch-lengthening tough.[Original.]

Monday 19:29

I'm glad that this thing exists, in an abstract sort of way: www.s.leica-camera.com/[Original.]

Monday 20:07

Stung by a wasp in my own back yard. Objectively, the world has more arthropods than strictly necessary.[Original.]

Monday 22:44

Blasted my tweet history into my blog, see www.tbray.org/ongoing/ and www.tbray.org/ongoing/What/Short-form/[Original.]

Tuesday 08:05

Rice Paddy Art (keep scrolling down): karaponeyami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2009-07-05[Original.]

Tuesday 11:22

Hmm... wonder if I really started tweeting on Jan 30 2008, or if that's where the Twitter timeline API stops.[Original.]

Tuesday 11:28

Good: There's an official city web-page for our neighborhood: vancouver.ca/community_profiles/communityList.htm But seeing a detailed map requires IE. Bad, bad Vancouver![Original.]

Tuesday 11:36

Why online merchants won't sell to Canadians: www.laurenwood.org/anyway/2009/08/18/problems-importing-into-canada/ grmf.[Original.]

Tuesday 14:50

Keeping a promise to the boy, last daytime ballgame before school starts twitgoo.com/2jv4w[Original.]

Tuesday 16:03

The only eulogy these victims are gonna get: www.thevancouverobserver.com/cgi-bin/show_articles.cgi?ID=1475 (via @kk)[Original.]

Tuesday 22:16

Wasp stings not fatal to wasp. Thus 24 hours later, my foot still swelling, perp still buzzing around. Unsatisfactory.[Original.]

Tuesday 23:06

Andre the giant OMG the pictures, especially Debbie Harry: theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/andre-the-giant-proving-size-matters/[Original.]

Wednesday 07:53

New Canon S90 looks interesting: www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081906canons90handson.asp I shot for years with the S-series, which has been on hiatus since 2005.[Original.]

Wednesday 10:32

@twleung The S90's a *pocket* camera. The whole point is you're not carrying around a bag full of extras.[Original, responding to @twleung.]

Wednesday 11:04

Clearly the Net needs _why more than he needs the Net. Come back if you can, dude.[Original.]

Wednesday 13:01

I really like wallblank.com/ (via @mezzoblue, who has a pic there).[Original.]

Wednesday 14:37

@pragdave Well, it's not bad at all and a radically open platform. My coverage: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/12/18/Android-Diary Dunno bout US networks.[Original, responding to @pragdave.]

Wednesday 15:27

Sometimes I would stare at a few lines of _why code for a half-hour, smiling but unsure I was getting the essential point.[Original.]

Wednesday 17:09

@ronlivesey Huh? What comment was that?[Original, responding to @ronlivesey.]

Wednesday 19:10

How does MyFirstTweet.com work? Trying to figure out how to get at my pre-Jan-2008 tweets.[Original.]

Wednesday 19:24

@morrildl Isn't that a little mean-spirited? _why was an entertainer & contributor. I admired & will miss him. So what?[Original, responding to @morrildl.]

Wednesday 20:28

Any other Pentax victims in town? London Drugs doing a dog&pony show this week: www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Content/CorporateInfo/NewsEvents/Pentax+Meet+the+Rep.htm[Original.]

Wednesday 21:47

OK, turns out Google Reader can see my tweets back to the beginning. I deduce the RSS feed is the path to follow.[Original.]

Wednesday 21:54

I bet G.Reader knows about some unpublished args you can apply to the Twitter RSS URI, like start= or some such. What are they?[Original.]

Wednesday 23:39

Eating some of my recently-published words: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/08/19/Tasty-Words[Original.]

Thursday 00:35

Night Out on The Main: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/08/20/Night-Out-on-the-Main[Original.]

Thursday 00:55

_why on Twitter, lest we forget: favstar.fm/users/_why[Original.]

Thursday 10:39

NetNewsWire sync via NewsGator never seemed to work for me. Since they switched to Google, all very smooth now. My #1 intelligence tool.[Original.]

Thursday 10:57

Where are all the men bloggers? geekfeminism.org/2009/08/19/where-are-all-the-men-bloggers/[Original.]

Thursday 11:51

A Daring Fireball link is [glances at log] ~10K hits in first few hours. Many sites crumble; what are they made of, tinker-toys?[Original.]

Thursday 13:40

US DOJ OKs Snorkel: www.marketwatch.com/story/justice-department-oks-oracle-acquiring-sun-micro-2009-08-20 Come on EU, let's get this done.[Original.]

Thursday 13:55

Tomorrow is the last day to submit a proposal for RubyConf rubyconf.org (Just about my personal fave conference)[Original.]

Thursday 16:34

I'm not a privacy freak; but the notion of sharing my location with the Net makes my blood run cold. Not a damn chance.[Original.]

Thursday 19:53

What happens when a Rubyist's spouse starts slipping into Python? www.laurenwood.org/anyway/2009/08/20/python-and-the-mac/[Original.]

Thursday 21:33

Watching Leonard Cohen on Detroit PBS. He looks like a statue these days, carved of driftwood.[Original.]

Friday 00:24

More or less all the music biz models are broken, except for standing up and playing for people who pay to get in. Is this a problem?[Original.]

Friday 00:27

I'm pretty sure there's a way to use the Net to make a ton of money for great musicians, but we haven't found it yet.[Original.]

Friday 00:38

Hector and the Gulls: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/08/21/Two-Gulls[Original.]

Friday 09:16

@GreatDismal I don't get it. Why is it a problem if some of the people following you are bots/spammers/whatever?[Original, responding to @GreatDismal.]

Friday 11:32

The thing about Twitter: You should worry about who you're following, not who's following you. Asymmetric-follow FTW.[Original.]

Friday 11:39

Cloud API revised: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/08/21/Cloud-Revs[Original.]

Friday 12:00

Jeffrey @veen reels in a big 'un. Good luck to all of 'em. Remember, sleep is for weaklings.[Original, responding to @veen.]

Friday 17:10

@diveintomark Oh yeah, there is definite scope for violation of anti-trust law there.[Original, responding to @diveintomark.]

Friday 17:21

w="Why don't we do it in the road";10.times do 3.times do puts "#{w}?" end;puts "No-one will be watching us.";puts "#{w}!" end #songsincode[Original.]

Friday 17:21

I hear many feet running up @robc2's steps and thunderous knocking on his door.[Original, responding to @robc2.]

Friday 17:52

Not submitting any rubyconf talks, muahahah... going to go for the schmooze & booze.[Original.]

Friday 20:13

"The 10 Stupidest Tech Company Blunders" www.pcworld.com/article/170337/the_10_stupidest_tech_company_blunders.html #9 is, well, me. Well, my management.[Original.]

Friday 22:59

@timoreilly There's a certain grumpiness in the geek community over that list including almost nobody who actually *does* technology.[Original, responding to @timoreilly.]

Saturday 09:25

Playing the Stax/Volt compilation after breakfast. Kids dancing to Sam&Dave, Otis, etc... life is good. "Wrap it up... I'll take it!"[Original.]

Saturday 14:10

Taking care of Alison: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/08/22/Alison[Original.]

Saturday 19:32

Switching droids: www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/08/22/Switching-Androids[Original.]

Sunday 11:09

Crab park on the Vancouver waterfront, quiet on Sunday morning twitgoo.com/2npd5[Original.]

Sunday 11:23

Some of the people down here are straight outta Naked Lunch.[Original.]

Sunday 11:45

Downtown from Crab Park: twitgoo.com/2npqa[Original.]

Sunday 13:01

tweetingtoohard.com/ via @sayrer... maybe we should shut Homo sapiens down and give the planet to the insects.[Original, responding to @sayrer.]

Sunday 13:25

@sogrady Weirdly, I seriously enjoy photoediting. But I don't think of it as tech-related. Maybe you're using the wrong tool?[Original, responding to @sogrady.]

Sunday 16:18

Car-free day on The Main: twitgoo.com/2ntx2[Original.]

Sunday 17:20

News: Canadians unique in preferring sex to sleep. Not kidding: blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2009/08/18/xxx-vs-zzz.aspx[Original.]

Sunday 23:27

Been saving ideas/research for a piece on the music biz. Started writing & it's gotta be a series. Music & the Net, we can do way better.[Original.]

Sunday 23:40

24 Views of Mount Fuji: www.stmoroky.com/reviews/gallery/hokusai/24views.htm (from my 5-yr-old-piece www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/05/12/Fuji24)[Original.]

More...