We recently published our new software "gateway," the routing page for all things software at Sun. It actually results from a significant amount of user input. In the usability testing we did comparing our old page to this new design, we found that visitors really just want to quickly get to the product of interest with the least amount of navigation in the way. Quite deflating for the marketing team. We loved our videos, product descriptions, news ticker, spotlights and featured topics. We eliminated a couple of interim pages to directly present the product links to visitors. We did retain a smaller area for new products, subjects and promotions at the top of the page. So far it has been well received.

More...