In the wake of the cash for clunkers scam, the planned obsolescence of a few million televisions, and some misguided efforts to prevent electronic devices from being reused or recycled outside of the U.S., the obvious solution when my digital SLR began acting up should've been to pitch it and get another one. I'd already investigated and discovered that a newer model could be purchased for less than it would cost to send mine in for repair. But since I had nothing to lose, I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to report that this minor repair was a success! One less bit of e-waste.

I intend to put more of this kind of content on opensourcemechanic.com so this blog can grow more focused on Sun/OpenSolaris specific issues.

More...